Ren'Py 7.1.1 "On the road again."
was released on October 10, 2018.
The main downloads of Ren'Py 7.1.1 are:
You only need to download one of these three files. Each contains the full Ren'Py software development kit, with everything needed to develop Ren'Py games for Windows XP and up, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, and Linux x86/x86_64. The development environment contains the files needed to produce games for all three platforms, the Ren'Py tutorial, and "The Question", an example game.
Ren'Py is free to download and use for commercial and non-commercial purposes. It may be modified and distributed under the terms of its license.
Additional Downloads. When necessary, the Ren'Py SDK will automatically download additional packages, such as text editors and Android/iOS support. These packages are available for direct download at the bottom of this page.
I'm happy to announce Ren'Py 7.1.1. This is a bug release for Ren'Py
7.1, which improves the new android support and fixes a number of other
Some of the more important bugfixes include:
- A change to the History screen to fix problems with [[ in dialogue. (This
requires you to change screens.rpy, see the changelog for details.)
- The Android SDK uses a sufficient amount of memory on low-memory computers.
- A problem with creating non-adaptive Android icons has been fixed.
- Zero-width characters are drawn correctly, and non-breaking spaces are
respected in more places. (This fixes a problem with Arabic text rendering.)
- Automatic window management now considers dialogue and captions associated
with the menu statement.
There have also been a few small feature additions:
- The SetVariable and ToggleVariable functions now can take namespaces,
and fields, so it's posible to have actions like SetVariable("hero.strength", 42)
- It is now possible to nestle the CTC indicator into the text in such a
way that it can not be on a separate line from the final word of dialogue.
- Drags (used in drag-and-drop) now support alternate clicks, which are right
clicks on PC and long-presses on touch platforms.
- The Russian and Korean translations have been updated.
- The 86_64 Android APK is given a different numeric version than the arm version,
allowing both to be uploaded to the Play store.
Ren'Py 7.1.1 is brought to you by:
- Bryan Tsang
- Craig P. Donson
- Joshua Fehler
- Lee Yunseok
- Max le Fou
- Muhammad Nur Hidayat Yasuyoshi
- Sylvain Beucler
and myself, Tom "PyTom" Rothamel.
Downloads of Ren'Py 7.1.1 can be found at:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:
Please also check out the credits and
list of sponsors.
Android and iOS Support
When building Android packages, iOS packages, or web distributions, Ren'Py will prompt you to download
RAPT (Ren'Py Android Packaging Tool), Renios (Ren'Py iOS Support), or Renpyweb (Web Platform Support).
As these downloads may fail if your Internet connection is unreliable, these packages
can be downloaded separately. To install, extract the contents of the
archive to the Ren'Py directory. (Place the "rapt", "renios", or "web" directory into the "renpy-7.1.1"
- Android Support (RAPT): renpy-7.1.1-rapt.zip
- iOS Support (Renios): renpy-7.1.1-renios.zip
- Raspberry Pi Support: renpy-7.1.1-raspi.tar.bz2
- Contains files required to allow Ren'Py to run on the Raspberry Pi. This should be untarred in the Ren'Py sdk directory.
- Ren'Py Source Code: renpy-7.1.1-source.tar.bz2
- Contains the source code of the Ren'Py distribution without any binary components.
- Pygame_SDL2 Source Code: pygame_sdl2-2.1.0-for-renpy-7.1.1.tar.gz
- Contains the source code for the version of pygame_sdl2 required to run this version of Ren'Py. This may be newer than any released version of pygame_sdl2.
- Other Dependencies: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/license.html
- Ren'Py contains free software licensed under a number of licenses, including the GNU Lesser
General Public License. A full list of software and links to git repositories from which the software
can be downloaded is linked above.
- Checksums: checksums.txt
- Checksums for the various files making up the Ren'Py distribution.
We also maintain a complete list of releases.