From Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine
Welcome to the Ren'Py cookbook. Here, you will be able to find user-contributed recipes that allow you to accomplish common (and not-so-common) tasks with Ren'Py.
Please also take a look at the frameworks, which contain more complicated code to allow specific styles of games.
See also http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=51 , the forum equivalent of this wiki page.
Note that many of these are meant to accomplish specific tasks, and aren't very good examples of Ren'Py code that is used to write games.
- Animation and Transforms by Example Tutorial
- Springy movement - Adding bouncy motion to your Moves. (6.6.3)
- Setting Fullscreen
- Showing a Quick Splashscreen While Ren'Py is Loading
- Showing a Fancy Splashscreen After Ren'Py has Loaded
- A Simple Flash (Light Saturation) Effect
- Using a "Noise" Image Dissolve
- Implementing a Double Vision Effect - (2011/9/17)
- Shake Effect
- Animate Character Lip Movement (Lip Flap)
- Animate Character Blinking And Lip Flap
- Showing layered sprites with different emotions
- Particle Burst
- Creating a TV-static effect for background
- Creating a more realistic snow effect (6.9.0)
- Turn an image into a silhouette
- Customizing Menus Tutorial
- Creating an Information Screen (6.12+)
- Customizing Textbox Appearance
- Adding a simple Analog Clock (6.10.2)
- Adding a slightly-complicated Digital Calendar
- Adding On-Screen Buttons
- Center the main program window on startup
- Making adult scenes optional, by adding "Hentai Enabled/Disabled" to preferences
- Placing the speaking character's name above the text window
- Quick Save and Load
- RPG frame
- Setting Auto-Read Automatically
- Setting the Default Text Speed
- Tile Engine for Tile-Based Maps and Unit Engine for Turn-Based Games
- Simple Pie Menus
- In-game Messages
- Changing the Main Menu after completing the game
- Text History screen with voice replaying
- Supporting Chinese or Japanese in Your Game (6.3.2)
- Multiple Language Support (6.9.3)
- Inputting information in a language other than English
- Convert text strings to kana
- Hangul (Korean alphabet) Inputter
- Reduce the size of a font file
- JCC - Jpeg Compression of Character Art (6.6.3)
- Single-Directory Mac Application - Out of Date
- NSIS - Building a Windows installer using NSIS
- CG Gallery and Music Room
- Good Looking Italics
- Inventory and Money Systems (6.9.3)
- Simple Onscreen Inventory - Can also be used to display money with adaptation to the code.
- Tips menu
- Unarchiving files from rpa
- Who's that? Changing character names during the game
- Conditional Hyperlinks
- Timed menus
- Custom text tags
- About this game - How to add a simple readme into the game
- Additional basic move profiles - A collection of extra basic motion profiles to spice up your Moves.
- Konami Code - Add the Konami Code to your game. Fairly easily adapted to other secret codes.
- In-game Splashscreen - Create an in game skippable movie using images.
- Runtime init blocks - Initialize variables outside of init blocks in all files
- SVG color names - access more colors by name (more than 140 instead of just black)
- Initializing Images Mini-Engine - initialize .png and .jpg files automatically in the main game directory.
- Import from Celtx
- Letting images appear after a while
- Loading data from file (tested with 6.11.2)
- Making random choice with some outcomes more likely than others
- Conditional Side Images A brief way of state-controlled character side images (portraits)
Sound and music
Create a new Recipe
You can create a new recipe by filling out this form with the title of the recipe you want. You'll need to be able to edit wikicode. See Help:Editing for details on that, and Wiki:Style Guide for a list of things specific to this wiki.
When done, add this to this page by adding the wikicode:
*[[../New Recipe Name/]]
to one of the categories above.
If someone forgot to add a cookbook page, it will show up in the Cookbook Index. Please add it here.